Since Ubuntu 8.04 is no longer supported, the original repositories no longer work.
Ubuntu users will get an error like:
Err http://mirrors.xx.com hardy/universe mc 1:4.6.1-8ubuntu1
404 Not Found [IP: xx.xx.xx.xx]
Failed to fetch http://mirrors.xx.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/m/mc/mc_4.6.1-8ubuntu1_amd64.deb 404 Not Found [IP: xx.xx.xx.xx 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with –fix-missing?
Or from Plesk:
Failed to fetch http://mirrors.xxx.com//ubuntu/dists/hardy/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: xx…
Ubuntu 8.04 users should upgrade to the latest version but in case that for whatever reason, this is not an option for them, they can try these:
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse
#deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
To change these, access your server via SSH and:
1) backup the current sources list
# cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup
2) # vi /etc/apt/sources.list
3) Hit “i” and delete the current lines
4) copy the new repositories at the beginning of the article and paste them by right clicking into the file
5) hit “Esc” key, type “:wq!” and hit “Return” key to save the file and exit the vi editor.
That’s it, good luck!